side bar

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Burritos & Ham Sandwiches

There is a handful of marital advice that I received 3.5 years ago that still goes through my mind frequently and that I would consider to be useful, including my dad's advice not to get the couches that have pillows as a back. Come to think of it, I think about that little tidbit of advice every time I sit on someone's couch that has a back full of pillows (and hate it) and wonder why their dad didn't give them the same advice.

(Speaking of advice that I have ignored, someone also told me not to go to bed with dirty dishes in the sink and here I sit with dirty dishes in the sink and I don't even want to do them at all. Peace out, dishes.)

I couldn't tell you who gave the advice, but someone told me don't do anything the first year of my marriage that I wasn't going to do for the rest of my marriage eternity. It's the best, and now I pass it onto every to-be wed person that I know. Let me tell you, here I am this many years later and I still make Sam breakfast and lunch every single day. Except when I'm pregnant. Or when I accidentally go back to sleep for an hour instead of 5 minutes. Or when we both wake up when Sam has to be to work before I can even roll out of bed. But that tidbit of advice has been the thing that keeps him at the forefront of my mind even when the days are long and the time together is short.

When we first moved to Charlotte the work hours were different, bit allowed for us to spent a significant amount of time together. We had weekends and weekdays to spent together and trips when he wasn't working on the weekends. 2 years later, our time is a little  bit more limited especially during the weeks, but I feel like that simple act and habit of making breakfast is my one way each morning to show my love, support and appreciation for the long hours and Sam''s willingness to work to provide me the opportunity to be a SAHM.  

No comments:

Post a Comment