I made it to JFK- all by myself and all in one piece. Although flying is among one of my top 4 fears (which also include wind, lightening, and heights) I somehow managed to make it.
Those of you who have had the opportunity to fly with me (...thank heavens it's very few of you) you know that I become the meanest, green monster when I think that I'm going to miss my flight if I'm not at the airport exactly 2 hours before take off, and that monster was pretty close. There were so many emoitons of excitement, worry, and saddness as I spent my last few hours in Utah at baseball games (you know, the things that Whatcott's do best), headed to the airport, said goodbye to my parents, had my luggage searched, and headed to the gate. I was so surprised that the day finally came and I wasn't quite sure what to think.
Flying was almost a disaster. Somehow I forgot to take Dramamine and so until the stewardman came around to give me my beverage I tried to distract myself with The Real Housewives of Orange County, George Lopez, and Criminal Minds (until I realized why I stopped watching it in the first place). Finally, with lots and lots of prayers in behalf of the people nex to me, who I'm sure wanted to stay free of throw up, and a little bit of Dramamine I fell asleep quickly and they should probably be saying a prayer of thanks at this moment.
I woke up about 10 minutes before we began to land and was amazed at the distant land of New York that I had only heard stories of. I was amazed at how green everything was and the beauty of the homes that I saw. It was one of those experiences where you can hardly believe what you're seeing, it's almost spiritual. As I've walked through Terminal 5, I have been amazed at the people that I've seen. I've seriously been living under a rock in Utah County my whole life: the flight attendant at Gate 2 was my first encounter with a New York accent, the old man who pulled up in the wheel chair behind me was yelling obscenities about the people around us, there are people here other than white people, and I've thus far been unsuccessful at finding anyone wearing BYU attire. It's bizzare.
In an hour and a half I'll be boarding my plane and one my way to 100% humidity. So much for getting bangs, right? For now, I'm going to find myself the closest breakfast bar because the thought of anything but a doughnut right now is really disappointing.
No comments:
Post a Comment