side bar

Monday, March 3, 2014

Revelation && Recipes

Sometimes I have those days when I think to myself, "Self. You did it. You're graduating and leaving this place" and it sure scares the heck out of me. and then I think back to the month before I gradated high school when I was saying the same thing to myself. I'm registering for my last online semester on Wednesday. I'm walking in graduation ceremonies in a little over a month. Here we go.

Tonight Samuel and I decided to attend the CES Fireside that was being broadcasted from BYU-Idaho and as I was sitting there a flood of memories came to mind as Sister Burton talked about the language of the Spirit. At one point in her talk, a video came on that was Elder Holland telling a story about how sometimes our Heavenly Father allows us to go forward in the wrong direction, only so that we can realize that we are really meant to do something else. So that we can know for ourselves without a shadow of a doubt that we are doing the right thing in the long run. 

I always thought that if a door was opened, then you walk through it. But after my small moment of revelation, I was able to see how the Lord has blessed me and guided me through the (big life changing) doors that I was supposed to walk through, even after I'd walked through the wrong ones:

1.  I remember sitting in the car with my dad and Colten at the stop light on 1st East in American Fork, we were talking about college and how I didn't want to go because I was becoming to understand how much time and money would be required. After little research and checking into things, my mind was set on attending Snow College in Ephraim, Utah.  Looking back I have no clue why, but I figured that I could get all of the college experience I needed to get married and I would be good. I had this mindset for quite some time, until Jace mentioned BYU-Idaho and then I was stuck. 
My time at BYU-Idaho has been life changing and I have had a few experiences that help me realize that this is really where I was supposed to be. I have been given the experiences and knowledge here that is preparing me to go out into the world.

2. No one would ever take me seriously when I told them that I wanted to go to college to become a mom. Teachers would tell me that I would probably be able to apply anything that I learned in any major to motherhood, and that wasn't the answer that I wanted. Being raised with a stay-at-home mom and a dad that was able to provide so that it could be that way, I didn't want to do it any other way in my own home. I did internships and thought I fell in love with teaching, and so I spent almost 6 semesters studying Early Childhood Special Education but never could come to love it. The semester before I got married Sam and I sat down and talked about what I really wanted and decided to switch my major to Marriage and Family Studies. While many people think that I'm studying to go into Marriage and Family Therapy, they're mistaken. I am studying to be a mom. I'm learning about how to strengthen my family in many ways. I love the things that I have been learning and see every day application. My testimony of my Savior and the plan of salvation has been strengthened because of the things that I've been able to learn each day.

3. It's not really a secret that I dated someone quite seriously before I met Samuel. Throughout high school I never had a boyfriend and enjoyed dating around. I knew that one day I'd find the one so I wasn't overly worried. I dated Jake for a while and was convinced that marriage was the next step. Though it was a good several months, it was full of hard times, disagreements, salty enchiladas, unrealistic expectations and me not able to be myself or accomplish any of my goals. I was young. In the end I was heart broken and struggled to find myself again for some time, but in time I did and Samuel was sent my way. He has been the biggest blessing and support in my life and always encourages me in everything that I do.

Sitting at the I-Center during that devotional talk came just another spiritual confirmation that Charlotte is where we are supposed to be. We had our sights set on somewhere else in the opposite direction to call home, but Heavenly Father had other plans for us. Although the transition is going to be scary, although the thought of moving so far away brings me to tears almost every time, there is no denying that this is where we are supposed to be. While we have nothing in place- no apartment, no car, I've got no job- the Lord has proven to me time and time again that He's on my side and He won't let me down.

In other news. I got peed on during nursery this morning and (I think) i'm obsessed with soft pretzels (or anything that comes off of pinterest), so we made some for our Sunday night treat. 

Soft Buttery One Hour Pretzels
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups bread flour
2 1/4 tsp instant dry yeast 
1 tsp granulated sugar
scant 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water 
1/4 cup butter or vegan butter, melted and divided use
Kosher or coarse salt, for sprinkling

Directions:
To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, yeast, sugar, optional 1/4 teaspoon salt and turn mixer on and beat for couple sends to mix dry ingredients. Pour the water over the Beat the mixture on medium-low speed for about 1 minute, or until combined.
Switch to the dough hook and knead dough for about 5 minutes. It will be firm, smooth, not sticky, and elastic. (If making bread by hand, mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl by hand, then turn dough out onto a floured work surface and knead for about 5 minutes)
After five minutes, remove the dough from the mixing bowl, spray mixing bowl or another bowl with cooking spray, and place the dough in the bowl. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap and place it in a warm, draft-free place to rise for 30 minutes.  In the final moments of rising, preheat oven to 425F.
After 30 minutes (or longer), punch dough down and place it on a floured work surface. Using a sharp knife or bench scraper, divide it into six equal pieces. Using your hands, roll each piece into a long rope, about 15 to 18-inches long. The skinnier you roll the ropes, the less chubby the finished pretzels will be. Make a pretzel shape with the rope. Grab the ends and pretend you’re making a heart-shape with it. Lay ends on the opposite side and allow them to drape loosely; optionally twist the center of the pretzel like a twist-tie so there's a twist in the pretzel or shape them as desired. Transfer pretzels to two Silpat-lined baking trays, three per tray.
Melt the butter in the microwave, about 1 minute (use unsalted or salted, regular or vegan, based on preference) and brush half of it onto the pretzels. Save the other half for after baking. Bake at 425F for about ten minutes, rotating trays once if your oven bakes unevenly (This is buttery, soft, white, fluffy dough and it burns easily so keep an eye on it and I don’t even leave the kitchen). For golden brown tops, turn the broiler on and broil one tray at a time for about 90 seconds each, or as desired. A matter of seconds can make the difference in golden and burnt, so broil at your own risk and with a very watchful eye. I bake for 10 minutes and broil for just shy of 2 minutes based on my oven and preferences.


No comments:

Post a Comment