side bar

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Pros and Cons.

Growing up in Utah County definitely had it's perks. I mean, basically everyone attended the stake dances on Friday nights, we all had the same curfew, everyone was respectful, we all ate lunch together, rode the bus together, I knew every one in my neighborhood-along with the neighborhoods north and south of us. We were one big, Mormon happy family.

Growing up in Utah County had it's cons. Because of the sheltered life that I lived I'm coming to see that not everyone is respectful, not everyone wants to ride the bus with you, people don't get to know each others names, that people go on and live their own, individual lives and never thinking twice about it. I hardly ever came in contact with people who didn't believe the same things as me and never figured out how to handle people attacking the things that I hold so precious.

Several semesters ago I was teaching a meeting at a seminar thing for new students with my confidant, Katie Conant. As we taught several students about Student Living, they were bugged that we were taking the time to tell the how to be better roommates and they were even more bugged that we were encouraging them to pray with their roommates on a nightly, or even weekly basis. Although I've never had picture perfect roommates, I have always felt that I've put forth an effort to create a peaceful apartment where everyone feels safe and at home. One of the girls that we were teaching was a transfer student with long, dark hair, and went onto say that she didn't care what her roommate did, she wasn't there to be her mom. Katie, being much more eloquent that myself, continued on to ask the girl a few questions.

"What would you say is more important, your spirit or your physical body?" The girl replied that it was her spirit. Katie then asked, "If you saw someone get hit by a car, you would immediately rush to aid them, right?" The girl didn't say anything, but Katie continued, "If you knew that you had a roommate who was spiritual struggling, you would immediately rush to her aid, right?"

Lets keep in mind that the opportunity to teach Student Living came into my life at a much needed time. I was a heart broken college student and couldn't tell you what color the sky was or what I had for dinner the night before, but I knew that I was supposed to be in little Rexburg during my off track. I was uplifted, my testimony strengthened, and my confidence boosted by the opportunities that I had to teach the students of BYU-Idaho how to build Zion in their apartments. Let's just say that I became a little bit obsessed and lived for the different opportunities that I had to teach. I have a testimony that through the action of gospel principles, we all have the opportunity to create Zion wherever we go.

Alexander B. Morrison, in his talk, Fire Where Once Were Ashes, said, "During a lifetime we oscillate repeatedly between being nurturing shepherds and the nurtured sheep. That fact underlines our mutual interdependence- for we are all 'the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand' (Psalms 95:7). We are responsible for each other- not as our brother's keeper, but as our brothers and sisters freely 'willing to bear one another's burdens' and 'comfort those that stand in need of comfort' (Mosiah 18:8-9). We cannot escape that responsibility, nor expect someone else to accept it for us."

It is our covenant responsibility to watch out for those around us. We are sons and daughters of a Heavenly Father and it is up to us to help those around us return to live with Him again.

One of the benefits of working in the Housing and Student Living Office is that I have the opportunity to work with very talented people. Andy, the video guy who never brought in engagement ice cream, used the upstairs office, and sat across from me on the plane on the way home from his honeymoon, put his skills to work and created this beautiful video which can be found here.




Lets keep in mind that this is the fist time I've ever come into contact with some thing like this. The horrible comments, the vile and disturbing videos, the desire that people have to do evil. It never ceases to amaze me the power that Satan has to take something so powerful, so beautiful, and turn it into something so dark.

I am so grateful for this video and everything that it stands for. I hope that people will take the time to watch it with an open heart and and an open mind. It is our responsibility to do what we can to help those struggling with addictions, not stand by and watch. I am grateful that BYU-Idaho and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has always been open about the things that we believe. This has never been a secret- it's what we've known to be true all along. 

Did I mention that this all took place right after my friends assured me that life outside the bubble is wonderful. As much as I hate to think about it, these experiences are preparing me for something bigger, preparing me for all of those dreams that I have about arguing with Bill Murray about the sacredness of marriage between a man and a woman. For now, I'm going to continue to listen to Celine Dion around the clock, eat my carrots and celery, and focus on what I can do to prepare for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment