School was starting in 2 days and we were sitting in the Colosseum at Ceasers Palace for about 40 minutes before the lights dimmed, the giant projector screen came down and I started to cry like a small child. When the curtains opened and she was standing in the middle of the stage I wasn't quite sure what to think, but the tears just kept coming. Yep. I'm the girl that you saw crying at a Josh Groban concert 2 years ago and was counting on crying all through this as well.
Weeks before we left for our Christmas break adventures in Utah and California, Sam had 3 Christmas presents from me sitting under the tree when he asked if I was sad that I didn't have any thing under the tree. Honestly, I was more worried about the fact that he was going to open them when I wasn't looking than if I had presents there with his.
Growing up I had a friend who lived just a few houses over and was introduced to many different things at her house. From Britney Spears to Hawaiian haystacks, from boy bands to orange 80's couches. I remember sitting on her bed listening to Celine Dion and that love stuck. It stuck so much so that for my birthday that year I asked for her new CD... and a beach towel.
For the past 11 years I've wanted several things, but one thing has always been at the top of my list, but Santa never came through. When Sam tole me that I wasn't allowed to spend more than $10 on his Christmas present this year (yeah right) and said that it was going to be different than most Christmas's I wasn't quite sure what to think, or expect.
Christmas morning comes, we're in California with his family, and I'm sitting on the chair watching everyone open their presents. I was so pleased with the book, juggling balls, and the tuxedo apron that I'd purchased for Samuel. Not that I wasn't expecting anything, but I was a little surprised when he left the room and came back with an envelope. My first thought was, well, I actually had no idea what it was going to be. I pulled a thick stack of papers from the envelope, looked on the second page and was so excited I could cry. I did cry. Celine Dion tickets for the show that next weekend.
Don't get me wrong. I'm sure that Las Vegas has many wonderful areas, but don't mind me and my apple maps we'll just take you straight through the ghetto. Although I was relieved to be safe in a hotel, I think Sam was more relieved to be away from the 5 1/2 hours full of every Celine Dion CD that I own. I told him he had to be a lifetime fan before we could go. Keep in mind that I've never been to a casino, much less slept in one, but the stratosphere hotel would be our home for the night.
After saving up every calorie we could (Kidding. It was Christmas. We ate everything), we headed across the freeway to our Las Vegas buffet. When in Vegas eat like it, right? Although the pasta salad was good, it wasn't good enough to keep me there any longer than I needed to me. I was ready for the show.
We were really there. She was really on stage. I really cried through the show and I can't believe that it ended just as soon as it had begun.
Shout out to my husband for making my 11 year old dream come true.

No comments:
Post a Comment