side bar

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Thanks

I recognize that Thanksgiving was several days ago, but who says that I can't be grateful all year round? My heart is currently so full for the things that I have been blessed with after driving a 15 year old investigator to church, teaching with the sister missionaries and watching someone connect the gospel dots, and babysitting for a couple in the ward while they attended ARP meetings. I have been truly blessed.

I grateful for the connections made through church interactions and the Ose family, members of a different ward in our stake, that allowed us (and our cocoa apple cake) to join them for Thanksgiving. 

I am grateful for a supportive and loving family. I know that having their only daughter move all the way across the country probably wasn't their first choice, but never once have I felt anything but support for our decision. I am grateful for the relationship that I have with each of my parents; My mom who was a parent when I needed her to be, which has allowed us to be the best of friends now, and my dad, and the cherished memory that I have of him making me oatmeal every morning as a 5th grader even when I didn't ask. My siblings, who have become some of my greatest friends and the "proud parent" feeling that I get when I see or hear about them doing something great. For my in-laws, who raised and influenced their son to be who he is today and all of Sam's siblings If you ever get the opportunity to join in on a Basilius Family Google Hangout do it. It's hilarious.

I am grateful for the jobs that we have. That provide us with income, don't make us work on Sundays, and allow us to have plenty of time together. I thought it would be a little bit of a struggle to make ends meet, but I have come to see that you truly are blessed when you pay your tithing and live within your means -finances have yet to be a stress.

I am grateful for this apartment we live in in a safe area and a car that was and still is a huge blessing.

I am grateful for my education. Although our diplomas are hanging (in the not so glamorous spot) above our laundry baskets, I will always hold BYU-Idaho and the many experiences there close to my heart. It truly is a special place and I am who I am because of the things that happened in that little, frozen place.

I am grateful for my callings as ward missionary and YW Personal Progress Advisor. Although it sometimes it's a little hard and tears are shed, I know that I am where the Lord needs me to be so that he can make me into the person he needs me to me.

I am grateful for the opportunity that I have to live in Charlotte. Although it's taken almost 6 months to finally start to feel like home, the experiences that we have had here are life changing and I have grown closer to Sam, and most importantly to the Lord.

I am grateful for my friends. Although I am the absolute worst about keeping up with people, I appreciate their patience and their efforts. I talk to them and feel uplifted and excited about life and the different places that it has taken us.

I am grateful for my husband who is constantly patient with me when I accidentally throw the ice cream coupons away, don't want to shower,  or clean the house. I learn so much from him and from his example and cannot express enough how grateful that I am that he is willing to work to provide for our family and always take care of me. He is constantly teaching me more about life, love, and the gospel.

I am grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ. I have learned more about how lives can be changed through Christ since I've been here than I ever could have imagined. I have a new found testimony of The Plan of Salvation and the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I love the missionaries and have loved teaching with them and their willingness to serve. I'm grateful for a bishop who loves all the members of the ward and always has a smile on his face. I'm grateful for the ward members and their faithfulness and desire to do good. I'm grateful for the opportunity that I had to be sealed in the temple and all the blessings associated with that.   

Like I said, who needs Thanksgiving to be thankful?

No comments:

Post a Comment