side bar

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Zion in the Midst of Babylon.

(Member) Missionary work is an interesting thing. 

Regardless of the covenants and commitments that people have made, they still find some reason not to participate in this glorious work. At this time in our live, Samuel and I are so blessed to have (close to) absolutely nothing to do which gives us plenty of time to spend with the missionaries.

Sunday night after nap time, dinner, and a house cleaning party, Elder Reinhold and Elder Hungrige met us so that we could go out with them to visit some inactive members. As we drove down the street our first home was met with some far from nice feelings and a quick invitation to leave. Turns out that they too have decided to attend another church.

Since I've been here, I've been amazed at quickly people are forgetting the Lord, their covenants, the blessings that they've been given, and the testimony that they've gained. People are allowing those around them to determine their relationship with Jesus Christ. Satan is relentless.

A few houses, and a few unsuccessful attempts later, we headed to the home of a partial recent convert family in a little one bedroom apartment. The opportunity to be in a home new to the spirit with a family who is constantly striving to do what is right is amazing. They’re listening to the scriptures constantly on their phones, working hard to provide, and teaching the un-baptized members of their family the importance of the gospel in their lives. As we talked to them, Samuel and I were able to share our different experiences gaining testimony of this church and to hear the testimonies of the parents as well.  I was touched as we heard about how the dad talked about always let those teaching about God into his home, but never taking a step into a church building until he met the Mormon missionaries.

Although I don’t particularly like being yelled at from behind glass doors, those unsuccessful attempts made out night so much more enjoyable. I was also pleased when I was able to share my Primary music leader skills and recite the words of “Scripture Power” to the family to share the importance of daily scripture study especially when times are hard.




No comments:

Post a Comment