side bar

Monday, July 7, 2014

Member Hunts.

In Idaho I frequently would wake up 30 minutes before church started and could make it up the street and into the chapel before the meeting begins. Today we woke up 40 minutes before church started and we were 26 minutes late. Funny how that works.

Church was great and we're loving our calling as ward missionaries. My whole life I've read the Book of Mormon because I've been asked to, because I knew that it would strengthen my testimony, but not really because I wanted to. The past few weeks as I've gotten to know people whose lives have been truly changed because of the gospel of Jesus Christ and I haven't been able to get enough of The Book of Mormon. I love it!

As ward missionaries, Samuel and I go out and teach the recent converts the new member lessons (basically we teach them all of the lessons over again to be sure they understand and are continually learning). With the missionaries, we taught our friend Alina about the Plan of Salvation.

As we headed out, I mentioned someone that I had met earlier in the week.

 Flashback to Monday: For one of my classes I had to interview someone involved in the efforts to build up the community, so I headed to the local YMCA. I was set up to interview with Joni who sat off of the entrance in a super small office which she shared with a  mid 20ish looking man. She asked where I attended school, telling me that she had just moved from Oregon. She claimed that she knew about BYU-Idaho, but I was shocked with the mid 20ish looking man started shooting out fun facts about BYU-Idaho.

He quickly mentioned that he was a member and after some typical Mormon questions (What ward are you in? Who is your bishop? Have I seen you at church? Where do you live? Are you close to the church?) I came to find out that indeed he is in my ward, but has family around and so he travels alot. I left and checked the name on the door and headed on my way intent on asking the missionaries about him, but more pleased that I had found another Mormon friend in the middle of the YMCA.

On our way back from our new member lesson, we decided that we were going to try and find this fellow. The only information that I had was name on the outside of the office which was Jon and I knew that he lived within a mile of the church building.

The elders looked through their ipad area book and we found the guy we thought we were looking for and headed to this house. We pulled up to his house and the elders told me that it was my turn.

I knocked on the door and after a few seconds, an older man slowly opened the door just wide enough for his body to be in sight. I asked for Jon, and sure enough his name was Jon. He was quick to inform us that he had already talked to our bishop and informed him that he would now be attending the Calvary Church down the street and I told him about the treasure hunt that I had gone on from the YMCA only to find the wrong guy.

Oops. As we headed home I did some searching on the YMCA website and Facebook and found my guy. My guy had definitely borrowed someone's office because the name was way off. I texted the elders to let them know my mistake and they said that they had been knocking doors in the real mid-20ish guys neighborhood yesterday.

Good thing that the name was cleared up and I e-mailed him to find out about volunteer opportunities at the YMCA within the next couple of weeks.

Divine intervention? Probably. I gotta find this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment