side bar

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Weekend Adventures.

Due to the fact that I’m currently committed to an (old school) iPhone 3 that doesn't have a decent camera, the world is finally finding out that this week I mastered the art of Southern cooking: (Pan Fried) Garlic Lime Chicken and Jambalaya.  Healthy? Not necessarily. Necessary? Yes.

Besides my adventures in the kitchen, I spent much of my week doing homework and preparing to present a speech on Religious Freedom for my Family Advocacy class. 5 weeks of class left and I cannot wait to be free from homework with my (mom) degree in hand.

The end of the week went by so fast since it seemed like something was going on. It started on Friday night when Samuel got home from work and we drove to the dealership to (finally) get our license plate and whats a trip to the dealership without a detour, right? 2 words: Carolina Creamery.


Saturday morning the Sisters texted me and asked if I would go out teaching 2 investigators that afternoon with them and the Elders texted Samuel and asked him if we would sub for the 12-13 year old Sunday School Class. Just a few different thoughts: First, I love going out with the sisters and have loved being more involved in missionary work. Second, there is nothing more exciting than teaching an old Baptist woman who just stopped studying with the Jehovah's Witnesses to study with the missionaries. Third, I love seeing people change because of the gospel and understanding the love God has for them.

Saturday afternoon I spent in a group meeting presenting my speech on Religious Freedom awaiting the events of the night: Fuddruckers and the Symphony in the Park. Dreamy, right? We spent just over an hour listening to scores from Titanic, Star Trek, Jurassic Park, and James Bond, enjoying the warmth, watching the people, and counting the fireflies.


We got home around, well, I don't remember but we still had a lesson to prepare and cookies to make. What 12-14 year old doesn't pay attention better with a few cookies? We ended up preparing our lesson on the Abrahamic Covenant . I was so impressed with the many things that Samuel and the spirit were able to teach me during our study and while the 7 kids in our class seemed to be pre- occupied  with the world cup and acting like pre-teens, I think it went over very well.

The elders asked us if we would drive a 17 year old investigator to church with us on Sunday. He lives only a few miles from us and looks like he could be Gage's (distant) twin brother. He was introduced to the church by his girlfriend, but grew up in an atheist home. It was so interesting to me to listen to him and his experiences in coming to believe that there is a God. He saw how happy the people around him were and knew that there was something more. I look forward for the opportunities to be around him, and to (hopefully) be apart of his conversion into the church of Jesus Christ.

Sunday night (...I told you it was a busy weekend) we had a couple and their 2 kids over for dinner. In the months time that they've been here, they've gotten married and she has been baptized. I love seeing the good in different people. They work hard and have genuine hearts.

Charlotte has been keeping us busy. Well, except for during the day when homework, cleaning, cooking, Gone with the Wind, Titanic, or Judge Judy. Hopefully in the coming weeks our new calling will keep us busy and I'll be able to find a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment