side bar

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Tears for Days.

I am pretty sure that the only reason why I thought the sight of Pocatello was breath taking today was because I realized that this was probably going to be the last time that I had to drive past it to get back to American Fork, Utah.

I am also pretty sure that the female species has more of an emotional attachent to BYU-Idaho then the majority of men.

I knew that my time in Rexburg would eventually come to an end, but I never had anticipated that it would end this soon. I worked until Wednesday and even then I had a hard time pulling myself away. So instead of leaving, I awkardly walked around the office finding odd jobs to do asking people if they'd take my picture in front of the housig sign, or making small talk with the new people. When I realized that I really had to go there were several awkard goodbye handshakes, and some very heart felt hugs. My dear Sister Law and Sister DeHaan have been my gradmas for the past 4 years and would frequently find myself sitting next to them for hours and hours asking for advice or listening and learning from their life experiences. I told myself I wasn't going to cry, but as previously mentioned in other blog posts, I cry at the drop of a hat.

The idea of not being able to walk into the Housing & Student Living Office everyday and talking with my work family really came a reality while Sister DeHaan was
hugging me goodbye.

For the next several days, Samuel and I kept ourselves pretty busy packing up, cleaning, purchasing a new kitchen table (...yes, we're those people who buy all their furniture right before they move and then have to play a nice game of Tetris with everything else, just to make sure that it fits in the pod), and doing everything on my #rexburgbucketlist which included eating a massive hamburger from Big Jud's and a 32" pizza from the little place on the corner in Ririe.

Last night we stayed up way to late packing and had to get up really early since we didn't wake up when our alarms went off. It wasn't until I was alone in my kitchen, sweeping the floor, that I thought about everyone and everything that have helped me get to where I am now and then the waterworks came.

(Accept the fact that there are going to many, many moments of tears within the next month or so....)
                                                                                             
They came back as soon as I was saying goodbye to my Visiting Teacher and dear friend Whitney Cram who I met while singing in nursrey with the kiddies. She was the one leader in their who made me feel like I didn't look like an idiot singing 'The Wheels on the Bus' or "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' twelve times each Sunday. She was the most faithful visiting teacher who came and talked to me while I packed up last night, always let me know who was pregnant in the ward, and was kind enough to take all of our leftover food off of our hands.

My eyes were pretty well dry and ready to go before I had to go and say goodbye to my dear Michelley. Michelley was my roommate my second semester and after our first day in Marriage Prep together, I would say that we became best friends pretty quick. It's safe to say that we've seen each other through good and bad: breakups, doctors appointments, crazy roomamtes, Whitney Houston's death, Disneyland, and anything else. Saying goodbye to her made leaving Rexburg real.

My first semester roommate turned best friend, Rachel, also happened to be in town for the weekend which only made matters worse. As soon as I saw her I broke down in tears. We spent countless nights staying up and talking, going on walks around Rexburg, eating at Subway, planning trips, and taking tours of BYU. Now I'm leaving and she is heading for Europe for several weeks.

Saying goodbye was a lot hard than I thought it would be.

I didn't expect to be holding back tears all the way until Idaho Falls and still don't really want to accept the fact that that my time in Rexburg is over and I'm moving on with my life.

In General Conference President Dieter F. Uchtorf said, "In light of what we know about our eternal destiny, is it any wonder that whenever we face the bitter endings of life, they seem unacceptable to us? There seems to be something inside of us that resists endings.
 Why is this? Because we are made of the stuff of eternity. We are eternal beings, children of the Almight God, whose name is Endless, nd who promises eternal blesings without number. Endings are not our destiny."

Graduating high school was a tough thing, but I didnt feel like I had to move on, it wasn't an ending. This time it is. Looks like I'm an eternal being.

We'll see how the next couple of weeks go. I am getting more and more anxious to get out to Charlottie and cannot wait to meet my new kitchen table, couch, washer and dryer, and California King bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment