side bar

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Thoughts while making bread.

It's not every day that you find that you've got a new talent...
The talent that I've discovered within the past couple of weeks is that I have the ability to measure out everything perfectly and place it in a bread maker and then let the machine work its magic.

Well, never mind. In a moment of genius talent I put 2 1/2 Tbsp in the bread pan instead of 2 1/2 tsp.

That's completely besides the point. Kinda.

I remember 5ish years ago as a 17 year old, sitting in sacrament meeting listening to a speaker talk about how Satan will get into our minds and tell us that we need to try things out for ourselves to understand that they're wrong and how that it's the correct mindset. We know what is wrong and we don't need to "try it out" to know what the results will be. Keep in mind that was a whole day and a half after I got done telling my friend that my mom should let me date a 20 year old I had met at work because I needed to "try it out" to make sure that it wasn't the right thing to do. No secret how that one turned out...

Last night Samuel, myself, and our ward (along with a few others) had the opportunity to have Family Home Evening with President Clark- complete with chocolate ice cream (I'm obsessed). One question that was asked by a member of the audience had some thing to do with our and the rising generation. What is going to be their biggest struggle?

President Clark started out by talking about how the Word of Wisdom was a big thing while he was growing up and while there are still a few that struggle, when people find out that you don't smoke, do drugs, or drink they respect you and it's not to uncommon for them to mention that they wish they didn't either. On account of the things that I study for my major on a daily basis I wasn't that surprised when he brought up the fact that our generation struggles with marriage and will continue to struggle with it. He talked about how gay marriage and how Satan traps people into thinking that it's fair that they should be married because we are. He talked about how people want to "try out" marriage before the fact and the heartbreak that it brings. He talked about how people think that they need to find their independence and experience life before they can get married.

Somehow I can't get on that band wagon. I may have gotten married a little young, BUT I have been able to experience more things than I ever imagined since I've gotten married.

Last night as I was folding the massive pile of clothes that were on my bed from laundry the day before I listened to a conversation on The Mormon Channel with Jane Clayson Johnson (again). She was a successful news anchor and reported all over the world. She gave it all up to be a wife and a mother.

As I was (fake) baking bread this evening and looked around at my kitchen aid, my toaster oven, the spaghetti squash sitting on the top of our industrial shelf, and the stack of Wall Street Journals that have managed to find their home at the corner of carpet and linoleum flooring. I thought to myself 2 things.

The first being how I'm glad that I listened to my mom (and whoever it was that spoke in church) who told me the principle of when it is and isn't okay to "try (some)things out." I'm glad that I've always been shown the importance of marriage and the importance of motherhood.

And second how every time I want to blog I think of my 11th grad English teaching, Mr. Lind, saying how we'd all have blogs by the time we graduated college. I have 4. Dang it.






No comments:

Post a Comment