side bar

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Pregnancy 1

September 16, 2014
It all started with a few nights of cramps so bad that I ended up laying on the kitchen floor eating bread hoping that it would go away. Only after several prayers, promises, and pleadings would it finally stop. I was getting a little worried and had mentioned it to a friend who is a PA a few days before I had an appointment at the local OB/GYN. She gave me a list of things she thought it could be and I went home terrified that I had something horribly wrong with me. Leave it to me to WebMD or Google every possible symptom and look for the worst possible outcome.

Tuesday finally came and I headed to the doctor. I told them about the cramps and as the doctor was telling me about a pain killer that I could be put on, the nurse burst through the doors and informed me that I was indeed pregnant. I was shocked. I imagine that you would be too after having 5 negative pregnancy tests, but she said that she had checked twice and sure enough, after doing a quick ultrasound, there was a little tiny nugget hanging out inside of me. At that point I was 5 1/2 weeks along. I was still shocked. I knew that Sam would be calling me during lunch to see how  the appointment went and I didn't think that it would be wise to tell him that our family was expanding on the phone.

I hopped in the car and headed to Walmart and picked out my favorite pair of little boy pajamas. (They're white with blue and green trains all over them and have spent the last several weeks hanging from the closet door just so we can look at them all the time.) He was just as shocked as I was when I told him- its really, really hard to believe such news after a bunch of negative tests.

Morning sickness hit at 6 weeks just like clock work and it's absolutely ridiculous. I had to take a week off of work and my days were spent laying the couch, attached to my throw up jug, and eating reeses puffs, toast, apples sauce, and sprite. Pizza was a horrible idea. I spent every afternoon watching hours and hours of Veronica Mars and at one point thought it would be a great idea to watch What to Expect When You're Expecting. Worst idea ever. Although it may  be fun and games for those who aren't pregnant, I was scared out of my mind of becoming a parent and even more scared at the coming months. I'm now convinced that I'm going to be Wendy, the one with the most horrible pregnancy story. You just wait and see.

At 7 weeks and 3 days we headed back to the doctor to listen for a heartbeat and to do some blood work. I was so excited to have Samuel there with me and loved being able to hear the 141 beats per minute, getting my May 3 due date, and getting a Mcdouble and an ice cream cone on the way home.

We told both of our parents that night. I figured that I couldn't avoid my mom any longer due to the fact that food poisoning and the common cold were becoming old excuses.

We're so excited. And Samuel has been a champion through the adventure this far. From doing all the cleaning, and cooking, and laundry, and making me mashed potatoes, and praying for me, and rubbing my back, and having a good attitude even when I'm being a brat, and being the one to make me laugh and smile at the end of the day- He's going to make a great dad.

October 5, 2014
I didn't end up going to church today [judge me] but after a long night of work and spending a significant amount of time kneeing over the toilet I was exhausted. One thing that no one told me was that pregnancy was hard work, morning sickness never calms regardless of how many Preggie Drops you eat, and that sometimes your hips decide to move in the middle of the night.

As I have laid here on the couch today, I decided that I would try and watch the General Women's Meeting, but after our trust internet wasn't letting me stream it, I headed back to bed for a little while. A few days ago, my mom sent me the book, I am a Mother, by Jane Clayson Johnson. We both have a love for Jane and have both listened to her many times on Mormon Channel interview and watching her Mormon message, so I was really excited to started reading her book.

There have been several times when I've complained about morning sickness or the fact that I'm to tired to do anything and Samuel will ask, "Do you see anything positive about this?" Every time my answer has been a quick"no."

Reading through this book was a simple, yet humbling reminder that every day for the rest of my life is not going to be filled with morning sickness, but with joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment